What’s It All About
The Berlin International Film Festival, popularly known as the Berlinale, is an annual event in the city of Berlin. Artists from around the world are attracted to Berlin as it has served as the backdrop for some of the greatest silver-screen productions of all time.
The Berlinale witnesses more than 19,000 film professionals from 115 countries along with journalists and a large audience. It conducts meetings and discussions for film professionals and screens 400 films of every genre, length and format.
The festival is divided into different sections starting from the big international movies in Competition, Independent and Art House productions in Panorama; movies for a young audience in the Generation section, to the most exciting German cinema productions in Perspektive Deutsches Kino. The programme finally comes to an end with a thematic Retrospective and a Homage, which mainly focuses on the life work of a great cinema personality.
The following were announced as jury members:
• Mike Leigh, British film director (Jury president)
• Anton Corbijn, Dutch photographer and filmmaker
• Asghar Farhadi, Iranian film director
• Charlotte Gainsbourg, French-British actress
• Jake Gyllenhaal, American actor
• François Ozon, French film director
• Boualem Sansal, Algerian writer
• Barbara Sukowa, German actress
American actress Meryl Streep will be presented with the Honorary Golden Bear on February 14. Benoît Jacquot’s film Les adieux à la reine is the opening film for the festival.Excel Entertainment and Reliance Entertainments’ Don 2 will be premiering at the Berlinale, with a dubbed theatrical release simultaneously in mainstream cinemas. Producer-director Farhan Akhtar and producer Ritesh Sidhwani along with Shah Rukh Khan and Priyanka Chopra will be attending the premiere on February 11. Chinese star Annie Yi will serve as the Chinese ambassador for Shooting Stars – Europe´s best young actors. Shooting Stars event will be introducing an ambassador from its home country for the first time to connect the young European stars with the Asian film.
The following films will feature in the In Competition section and will vie for the Golden Bear and Silver Bear awards:
• A Royal Affair
• Caesar Must Die
• Jason Reitman’s Young Adult gets special screening in Berlin
• Bel Ami With Robert Pattinson, Uma Thurman Gets World Premiere in Berlin
• Steven Soderbergh’s action-thriller Haywire, featuring Michael Fassbender, Gina Carano, Ewan McGregor and Channing Tatum, is also heading to Berlin for a special gala screening in what will be its German premiere.